About the Song
"Dark-eyed Molly" is a love song written by Scottish singer songwriter Archie Fisher. He recorded it first in 1976 on his "A Man With a Rhyme" for Folk-Legacy Records. He wrote: "The compatibility of unrequited love and strong drink has been the theme of many a traditional song. Speaking from experience, it doesn't help in the long run, but think of the songs we'd miss without the experiment. The melody is that of a Basque lullaby and the words are my reconstruction from a line or two of Gaelic poetry."
Other notable recordings:
- Stan Rogers on his 1978 "Turnaround" album.
- Fairport Convention on their 1978 "Red & Gold" album
- Sheena Wellington on her 1995 "Strong Women" album.
- Eva Cassidy on her "American Tune" album of live & rehearsal tapes - released 7 years after her death in 2003.
- Tannahill Weavers on their 2007 "Live & in Session" album.